It’s birthday month in our house! My husband’s birthday is this week, and mine is later in the month. August is also National Romance Month, and all this has me thinking about the little gestures we make that can express so much. The more I thought about the things I could do to make him feel special, the more I realized how many ways he does the same for me, not just on my birthday, but every day. Here are 10 simple but often overlooked ways to make every day feel like a birthday.
These things may seem obvious, but writing this list has shown me that I’ve let many of these little things get lost in the daily routine. I wish I could say we both did all of these on a regular basis, but we don’t — yet. Also, I’ve used “he” and “she,” interchangeably in this post; obviously any of these gestures can be done by anyone — no stereotyping intended. 🙂
- Smile. Single biggest return on investment ever! No cost, no expenditure of effort, no work required on your part, but I can’t think of anything that will consistently make anyone feel better than being greeted with a smile. I have been married 23 years, and as cliched as this sounds, every single time I get a genuine, unexpected smile from my husband, my heart still does a little flip. If I could explain it, I would, but if you doubt the effectiveness of this tiny gesture, experiment with it and see for yourself!
- Greet him at the door when he gets home. Having your special someone interrupt an activity to meet you at the door just screams, “I’m SO glad to see you!” A smile provides a huge return on investment in any relationship! Click To Tweet
- Whoever makes it to the kitchen first in the morning can bring the other his or her first cup of coffee. Oh, sweet bliss! Early in our marriage, my husband always brought me a cup of coffee each morning. I would smile and thank him, then sneak back to the kitchen to add all the good stuff that made it drinkable. He eventually caught on and felt sorry that he hadn’t even realized, but what mattered to me was the gesture. Besides, I knew he was still working on his first cup of liquid coherence, too!
- Get up early with your spouse. I know that if my husband is reading this one, he is thinking, “And how would YOU know?” Ah, yes, true. Four-thirty in the morning is just a little early for my personal liking. But I do try to get up early enough to make him a cup of coffee for the road. My goal is to be up in time to drink a cup of coffee with him, but the snooze button keeps getting in the way…
- Switch up the typical To-Dos. Does he normally take out the trash? Do it for him once in a while. Is she folding a load of clothes? Help her — and then put them away! Few things say “I love you” like doing the dishes!
- Shoulder time. Whether he is watching a ball game on TV, working on a favorite hobby, or watching the stars at night, he loves it when you are right there — not reading a book or checking your notifications or even talking, just being there. I totally did not get this for the longest time, then I read Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs and he called this phenomena “shoulder time.” Low and behold, this is not something unique to my guy! So, turn off that list racing through your mind of things you could be doing and just enjoy being right there for a few minutes; you will both feel a little more special!
- Don’t find a bench to sit and wait; explore with her. It doesn’t matter how many times you say, “Take your time, I’ll just wait here,” what she hears is, “Hurry up, I don’t want to be here.” So next time, whether it’s clothes or antiques, browse with her, and even give your opinion!
- Leave a little note. In his car, on her pillow, in the shower (yes, I do have a water proof notepad in the shower — hot water must activate my brain 💡 ). I slipped a note in his lunch the other day, and he called me twice to tell me how much that meant! Why don’t I do that more often??
- Go for a walk. Even if it’s just a stroll around the neighborhood, there is something about walking together, whether for exercise or leisure, that is special. It’s kind of like being out in the middle of everyone yet in your own private little bubble. Umm…am I weird??
- Set a reminder on his phone telling him he’s special. Or vice versa! 😉 When my husband got his first iPhone, I scheduled a daily reminder for him to “tell his wife she’s beautiful and you love her.” All these years later, he won’t let me take it off his phone, and I must confess, I have to smile at the random phone calls I get with that message.
“Why Not?” try a few of these thoughtful, no-cost ways to make every month National Romance Month!Make every month #NationalRomanceMonth with these thoughtful gestures! Click To Tweet
How do you make everyday feel like a birthday for your special someone? Please share your ideas in the comments!
This post has been shared on: