In just a few days, my little baby will turn 21. Like mothers the world over, these milestones have a way of somersaulting our thoughts into days past — and days to come. What does the future hold for this girl of mine who is now all grown up and out in the world? Will she be happy and content?
This week’s Five Minute Friday word* is “accept,” and it lined up quite well with the path my thoughts were taking. So here are a few things I want my girl (and her parents!) to accept and treasure as she continues this flight of hers.
One, two, three…write!
When Your Baby Turns 21
Dear sweet child of mine,
You are turning 21, but as usual, your mama still feels compelled to pass on a little advice.
- I will honor your adult choices, but you might as well accept that you will always be my little girl. One day when I reach over and stroke your head of gray hair, you can bet all I will see is my little curly headed, big eyed baby.
- You need to accept your daddy will always be over protective. Fact of life, my dear. It’s his job.
- Your daddy, in turn, will accept that you won’t always do what he says. Fact of life, too. That’s your job.
- It is very likely we may live on two different continents in just a few months, but with technology, you can’t escape your mother. Just accept that fact and answer the text.
- I hope you do what makes your heart sing. God has gifted you for something special, just as He does each of us. I hope you’ll always recognize and accept that.
- Daddy will always ask about your car. It’s what dads do. Just accept it.
- I will always worry you aren’t getting enough rest. It’s what moms do. Again, just accept it.
- And I’ll always tell you to be careful. Moms do that, too. (Do I have to say it again?)
- Five years ago God showed me my biggest sacrifice was you. You were and are the hardest thing I’ve had to give to Him. Whew, talk about hard to accept! It hasn’t been easy letting go; He’s had to forcibly pry my heart’s fingers loose a few times! His plans may not always be my plans, but He is good and sovereign and faithful. I hope you always accept that truth. (I hope I do, too.)
With all the love in the world,
Just a few more pieces of advice from Mom. I hope you’ll accept them!My baby is 21! So of course I'm passing on more advice! @fiveminutefriday #momsanddaughters Click To Tweet
You can find me and many other writers sharing our stories here.
If you enjoyed this post, don’t miss these!